I had heard of mold in the corn crop this year but only saw a few small spots until today when these two ears showed up. The mold so far is only on the surface of the kernels so it rubs off easily in the harvest process. Any that may be left is easily killed as the corn is dried.
Another good thing is that the mold is not the type that is toxic to livestock. The types of mold that make toxins prefer drier weather than we had this year. This mold will mean we’ll be wearing masks if we go into the bins when we empty them.
Rain is forecast for tomorrow, we’ll see how it affects harvest.
1 Comment so far
Leave a comment