Minnesota Farmer


Home!  It really is a great word.  It’s the place we long for, and always seek to be in the end.  When we get sick, there is no place like home.

This last week I had the opportunity to attend the American Farm Bureau Federation meeting in Honolulu, Hawaii.  It’s a bit of a trip and not one of the cheapest convention sites, but I have a daughter there so this year I went.

I arrived Thursday evening, Em met me at the airport, and we went off to eat.  I got settled into my room and tried to sleep.  Now my plane landed at what for me would have been 9:30 p.m. so I should have been tired, but the “not home” bed and the noise of a city that is very late to quiet down kept me from getting a good nights sleep.  I took a morning walk, and before having lunch got some cough drops for a bit of a sore throat.

The next nights were not much better.  Yes, I went to all of my meetings, I had a good time meeting and getting to know new people, but my body was in rebellion.  I never did get a good nights sleep the whole time I was there, and the cough got worse.  I don’t think I ever slept for over 4 hours straight the whole time I was there.  Although food smells good, I can only eat a small amount and every restaurant portion is HUGH, each day I’m eating less.  I’m starting to run a low grade fever.  A trip to the drug store for some stronger cough, cold medicine didn’t help much.  Here I am in paradise and I getting sicker by the day.

Wednesday, the last day, I pack up, check out, and call Em to come take me to a doctor.  This day that was to be my last chance to see the sights and I’m seeing a doctor!  Prognosis, don’t know.  Em took me to her place where I got some sleep.  Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup for lunch, ah, comfort food.

The flight out is late, 9:40 and I’ve been in bed by that time most nights.  I try to sleep some when we are in the air, and must have, but I don’t remember it.  Before we got to LA I had the chills so bad I got a jacket out of my bag, I was COLD.  We had a two hour layover in LA and all I wanted to do was sleep.  Got some food for breakfast, a bagel and a banana, I was full after the banana.  The flight into MSP arrives just before noon.  Beth picks me up at the airport.  I was traveling light so no checked luggage.  She takes me to her place where I have a light lunch and sleep.

Now, I’m home.  I’m still not feeling the best, but a full nights sleep did help.  After breakfast, I went to sleep again.  I feel like I might make it.  I spent some time outside, wrestled our new water heater into the house, and am taking some time to write.

It’s GOOD to be HOME!


Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: