Minnesota Farmer

On Lac La Croix

Here I am, barely back from one trip and I’m off on another, this time fishing in Canada.

My son, Paul, has had several fishing trips at work related outings and he decided he needed to take his dad and grandfather along this time.  Saturday we drove to Crane Lake in northern Minnesota.  We got on a boat and started east and then north to Zup’s resort on Lac La Croix.  After a stop at the Canadian border station we continued on to Loon Falls where a marine railroad lifted the boat into Loon Lake.100_3002 Once deposited on Loon Lake100_3005 We continued along the border to the Beatty Marine Railroad portage into Lac La Croix.  The trip included full bore traverses of rice beads and narrow rocky passages.

When we got to Zup’s100_3007 we were put up in the Rock Cabin,Rock cabin fed a large rib eye steak dinner and got ready for a morning of fishing.

Sunday morning’s walleye fishing was good.  We kept the largest walleye for the cooler and ate the small ones for shore lunch.  After lunch we headed over to where Lac La Croix empties into the Namakan River.  We anchored in the current on the east side of the channel and went after the bass hard.  Each of us boated several bass over 2.5 pounds (about 18.5 inches).100_3013

We also boated several large Northern Pike, one taping in at 28.5 inches (6.6 pounds).100_3015

That night were fed a quarter chicken with all sorts of good sides and went to bed early again, but not before watching a great sunset.

Sunset Zup's

Monday morning started out sunny, but turned cloudy and windy.  Although we caught plenty of fish it was not up to the high bar set on Sunday.  Still we managed to fill out with our last keeper walleye and have plenty smaller ones for shore lunch.

We gave crappie fishing a try, but only boated two nice ones.  We decided to go back to the river for a few more bass before we left.  We brought in several nice bass, and a few smaller keepers, but fishing was slow here also.

In the last hour of the afternoon, I hooked the biggest walleye of the trip.  She taped out at 25.5 inches (6.1 pounds) and was indeed a beautiful fish.


After a rack of pork ribs for dinner we spent some time catching the folks back home up on what we had been doing and went to bed.  The evening had turned cold so we needed the heat on in our cabin.

Tuesday we packed up, took a hike around the island and collected our fish for the trip home.  This was a great trip and a good time of generational bonding.  We’ll have to give it a try again some other day.

Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: